Blythe House, West Kensington (Sir Henry Tanner architect)
23, Blythe Road, London, W14
Blythe House




Photo: Blythe House © LSA Sept 2010.
| EXIT | Blythe House | Architectural Features | West Kensington DO | Green Papers |
| Savings Bank Sites: Queen Victoria Street | Blythe House | Charles' House |

Blythe House

Blythe House was built in the late 1890s as the new headquarters of the Post Office Savings Bank. The move from Queen Victoria Street to Blythe Road was completed in 1903.

This stone was laid by...
This stone was laid by...
THIS STONE WAS LAID BY
HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE PRINCE OF WALES K.G.
ON BEHALF OF
H E R  M A J E S T Y   T H E   Q U E E N
ON THE 24TH DAY OF JUNE 1899.

Knight of the Garter (KG)
The Most Noble Order of the Garter, founded by Edward III in 1348, is the senior British Order of Chivalry.

Photo © Light Straw September 2010.
HM Queen Mother's Visit

On 25th October 1961 the centenary celebrations of the Post Office Savings Department and Department for National Savings included a special visit by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, to the Headquarters in Blythe Road, West Kensington.

The Queen Mother opened the new Chetwynd Exhibition Hall, the modern inquiry office, and the centenary gates, and she unveiled a plaque in the main entrance hall to commemorate the event.

Reference: POEEJ Vol. 54 Part 4 January 1962.

Centenary Gates 1861 - 1961
The centenary gates at Blythe House show a crown on each post, with the date(s) 1861 and 1961 shown underneath.





Photo: The centenary gates © Light Straw September 2010
   
War Memorial
War Memorial
IN MEMORY OF THE 93 MEMBERS
THE POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK STAFF
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
THE GREAT WAR
1914-1919

Blythe House at 23 Blythe Road, West Kensington, London, W14 0QX.


Photo: POSB War Memorial © Light Straw September 2010.


Blythe House continued as the main address of the Bank until the late 1960s, until the move to a new, modern building within the same area.

Architectural Features
Architectural Features
Blythe House, West Kensington, London, W14.





Blythe House © Light Straw September 2010

West Kensington DO (Delivery Office)
West Kensington DO

West Kensington DO was built to service the adjacent POSB building which, in its heyday, was said to have generated approximately 100,000 letters daily.

Blythe House at 23 Blythe Road, West Kensington, London, W14 0QX.



Photo: West Kensington Delivery Office © Light Straw September 2010.

Notes

Established in 1861, the Post Office Savings Bank quickly attracted many customers who were eager to find a safe place for their savings. Backed by the Exchequer, the money deposited in the Post Offices was used by the Chancellor, William Gladstone to offset against public spending. This was a simple way for the government to borrow money and thus the POSB could afford to pay a good rate of interest.

The aims of the POSB were to: Provide a totally secure place for people to save, backed by the Government. Provide the Exchequer with a source of funding (i.e. public borrowing).

Green Papers
Green Paper: Post Office Savings Bank
The Post Office Green Papers are issued primarily for the information of the staff of the Post Office and are designed to place at the disposal of its officers up-to-date and accurate information on various aspects of Post Office Work. They are published in four series:

A - Postal and general
B - Telephone
C - Telegraph
D - Engineering


Image: Green Paper No. 30A - POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK - published September 1936.

Design, images and text compiled by © Light-Straw. Page last updated June 2015 revision.

  All logos and trade marks are the property of their respective owners and are used on the Light Straw site(s) for review only. Students and researchers are recommended to make their own independent enquiries as to the accuracy of the information contained therein.